St. Augustine High School Attendance Policies
Early Release, Tardy, and Absent Information:
Attendance Clerk: Andrea Barber; 904-547-8530 or Andrea.Barber@stjohns.k12.fl.us
A note must be turned in to the Attendance Clerk in the front office by 9:15 a.m. when students:
- Return from being absent
- Are tardy
- Need to be picked up early from school
No need to call the Attendance office when your child is absent. An absent note can be turned in when the student returns to school. Parents you may communicate with your child’s teacher through e-mail at any time.
Please use the designated forms located on our website or in the front office or a hand-written note including:
- Student’s Full Legal Name / NO NICKNAMES
- Student (s) Birthdate
- Week Day(s) absent
- Time of Release (if early release)
- Reason for absence or early release
- Legal Parent / Guardian signature / NO NICKNAMES
- Current phone number
Only a Physician’s office is authorized to fax a note for the student to be excused. FAX # 904-547-8535—
Forms can be found both in the front office and on our website http://www-sahs.stjohns.k12.fl.us/.
Pre-Approved Absence Request Please see Mrs. Barber the Attendance Clerk, to pick-up a Pre-Approved Absence Request Form. It is the responsibility of the student to make sure that each teacher reads and signs the request. All requests need to be turned back in to the Attendance Clerk, at least one week before the first day of absence.
Driving off Campus A parent note is required when a student needs to drive off campus during school hours. Parents will always be contacted before student receives a pass to drive off campus. Parents please be available and have a current phone number.
Students are not permitted to send text messages to anyone for any reason during school hours. A phone is provided in the front office for students to use between classes.
If your child is ill, they need to be seen in the clinic for assessment by our nurse and/if needed contact to a parent/guardian.
No students will be dismissed after 3:00pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.
No students will be dismissed after 2:00pm on early release Wednesday.
What Parents and Students need to know about Attendance
- Blackboard Connect calls will go out every day for students who missed 1 or more classes unexcused.
- Barber will print and mail 5, 10, and 15 day unexcused attendance letters each week. The deans will meet with the students who receive these letters.
- Once a student has missed 5 unexcused days they will receive: –the automated phone call, the attendance letter mailed home, meet with the dean and be assigned an after school detention!
- Once a student has missed 10 unexcused days they will receive: –the phone call, the letter mailed home, meet with the dean, and be assigned a Saturday school and/or their parking permit will be taken.
- Once a student has 15 unexcused absences, they will receive: –the phone calls, the letters, meet with the dean, be assigned to a contract and Saturday school. These students may also have their driver’s license revoked from the State DMV.
- Once a student has missed 15 days of school total (excused and unexcused) they must provide a doctor’s note for the absences to be excused, a parent note will not be accepted.
- Notes are to be turned in to the attendance office, not to teachers. Notes are also required to leave early or check in late.
- Students who have unexcused absences will have one day for each day missed to turn in work. The assignments will be given ½ credit only, tests and quizzes will be made up for full credit. Please see page 17 of the Code of Conduct for more information.
- Attendance will be considered as a requirement for privileges.
Parents in order to stay consistent and enforce the rules of
St. Augustine High School we need your help and support!